Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Lesson Plan 2: Gatsby Socratic Seminar

I love Socratic seminars.
When I was in my Junior AP English class, Socratic seminars were unanimously the best days of the class--and we had an awesome "Gatsby Party" at the end of our The Great Gatsby unit, complete with food and music.  We loved Socratic seminars, and I am so excited to use them in my classes.
If you don't know what a Socratic seminar is, I really, really suggest looking into them.  One way you could is by checking out my newest lesson plan, which is designed as a pre-assignment to a final paper on the escapism of characters from The Great Gatsby.  I included all of the handouts needed for the lesson plan, as well as detailed instructions, so hopefully it will help if you've never done a Socratic seminar in your classroom.
If you have heard of Socratic seminars, and maybe even used them . . . well, maybe give mine a shot, too?  If anyone does, please, please discuss the results in the comments for this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment