Monday, September 24, 2012

A note on "sans Comic Sans"

I have never been a fan of Comic Sans.

I think Comic Sans is essentially the cheesiest font out there.  The worst thing about it is its proliferation; Comic Sans is everywhere, especially in schools.  Teachers seem to love Comic Sans.  They slap it on everything from syllabuses to homework assignments.  Let me just tell you, dear reader, I am not going to teach with Comic Sans.
But the title of this blog isn't just about the font itself.  The title also means that when I teach, I would love to teach in a way that is innovative and new in small ways.  This isn't a blog about the most groundbreaking debates on how the public schools system is broken/dying/sickly/horrible/etc., but a blog about semi-quirky assignments and lesson plans.  I want to teach my students like I wanted to be taught.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to use the ideas I post here, and that's fine, but I hope they at least get me thinking more creatively about my future classrooms--and maybe they'll do the same for you, too, dear reader.



A lot of what I'll be posting will be lesson plans I've had to do for my undergrad.  I'm currently a Junior in Northern Arizona University's Secondary English Education program, and I love it.  I love everything about it.  I haven't been this invigorated to teach since I got out of high school, and I can't wait to get to a classroom and actually teach.

Admittedly, I'll probably also be posting silly posts about exciting news or things I find.  For instance, have you heard of Biscoff spread, dear reader?  It's like . . . like peanut butter . . . made of graham crackers.  Nothing in this world has ever, ever been so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment